IMMEDIATE ACTION NEEDED: To Stop the U.S. Senate from Destroying GMO Labeling
By Nick Lasky
Last year, the so-called DARK Act that would destroy GMO labeling was voted down in the United States Senate.
Now, the same U.S. Senator who introduced the DARK Act, along with some Senatorial help, has introduced the Roberts-Stabenow Bill or Senate Bill 764.
“This is not a labeling bill; it is a non-labeling bill. We are appalled that our elected officials would support keeping Americans in the dark about what is in our food and even more appalled that they would do it on behalf of Big Chemical and food corporations.”
(The Center For Food Safety link above has a great copy and past sample email or letter to send on this issue)
Or as Cary Gilliam writes in the Huffington Post,
The ROBERTS-STABENOW BILL OR SENATE BILL 764 requires labeling products with genetically engineered ingredients, but would give companies several options of how to do this:
- Text on food packaging
- Provide a QR Code (which must be scanned with a smartphone)
- List a website or a phone number to call for the information
- Use a symbol created by the USDA
It gets worse. Here is what happens if the ROBERTS-STABENOW BILL OR SENATE BILL 764 is passed:
- It would permanently outlaw states from passing their own GMO labeling laws
- It lets companies NOT LABEL for up to two years until the USDA decides on labeling requirements
- It does NOT require labeling for meat or dairy products from animals raised on GM feed
- It imposes NO PENALTIES AT ALL for violating the labeling requirements
- It allows the USDA to decide the percentage of GMO ingredients in a food product that require it to be labeled. (There is no set limit)
CAN YOU HELP BY TAKING ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS?
- CALL YOUR UNITED STATES SENATORS AND ASK THEM TO KILL ROBERTS-STABENOW BILL OR SENATE BILL 764:
Here is a CONTACT LIST OF United States Senators and how to contact them.
If you can’t speak to your Senator, then ask to speak to the Agriculture Liaison or the Senator’s Chief of Staff. Even if you call, PLEASE send an email to the applicable email address on the U.S. Senate contact list link above.
IN VIRGINIA: here are our 2 U.S. Senators Contacts:
U.S. Senator Tim Kaine – 202-224-4024. Chief of Staff: Mike Henry, Agriculture Liaison: Nick Barbash.
U.S. Senator Mark Warner – 202-224-2023. Chief of Staff: David Hallock, Agriculture Liaison: Caitlin Runyan.
- Sign this Food Democracy Now! Petition and pass it along to your friends:
Ellwood Thompson’s supports transparent printed labeling of GMO foods on all packaging. Everyone should have the right to know what is in the food that they purchase.
PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND ACT NOW. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.