Become an Ellwood’s Steward
Our focus is on community and providing that community with healthy food that is natural, organic, and locally-sourced. Our team is built of gardeners, recyclers, volunteers, cooks, artists, artisans and healers who are all environmentally conscious people in constant search for the freshest local food and products we can find. We know our stuff and love our city, from the James River to the Blue Ridge Mountains – Richmond, Virginia is our home.
The employees of Ellwood Thompson’s are a proud, knowledgeable, and diverse group of down-to-earth, talented, quirky and inspired individuals who are dedicated to a clear mission. Because of this and because we are a locally-owned and independent market, we don’t take the hiring process lightly. We only hire people who are as passionate and dedicated as the rest of our team.
Our full-time employees enjoy a benefits package that includes eligibility for comprehensive health and dental insurance (with an individual option at no premium cost), short-term disability and life insurance provided at no cost to them. All of our employees are offered store discounts as well as discounts from local businesses and other organizations we partner with, plus more.
If you believe you’d be a great addition to our team, be sure to browse the open positions listed below and follow the instructions on how to apply. Once you send us your application, there’s no need to follow up with a call – we’ll definitely let you know if you’re what we’re looking for.
And remember – *All applicants must be 18 years or older to apply.
Current Job Openings:
The Beet Cafe Coordinator (FT)
- Income reporting
- Execution and follow-up
- Updates website as well as online & in-store calendars
- Requests graphics for promotional purposes and posts in necessary outlets, such as: Online community calendars, ET website, In-store (registers, chalkboard, etc.)
- Support of off-site marketing events as needed
- Assist with in-store execution of marketing promotions and initiatives, as needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing or related field
- Minimum of 1 -2 years of work experience assisting with the management of a marketing department and/or experience with assisting in marketing department events
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Event planning capabilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Creative, friendly and outgoing demeanor
- Exceptional public speaking skills
- Ability to develop, build and maintain relationships
- Strong understanding of natural, local and organic food trends as well as industry trends as a whole
- Required to have flexible availability, as attendance at evening or weekend events are required as needed
- The typical work week is 40 hours
Assistant Kitchen Manager – Exempt
Purpose: To execute the vision of the store’s prepared foods department with attention to natural, organic, vegetarian and other specialty cuisines.
- Provide product information for newsletter, promotions and customer inquiries
- Ensure all stewards have ongoing training in food offers to ensure prompt, friendly, educated customer service
- Schedule and monitor food production for efficiency and optimum customer service
- Assists in addressing customer concerns promptly and communicating concerns with all kitchen/bakery/meat stewards.
- Execute the visual merchandising of product, mentor staff in this area
- Schedule hours within payroll allocation
- Develops and encourages staff’s growth in their positions, and other positions within the department
- Respect and understand cultural differences, and promotes a harassment-free surrounding
- Ensure the job training and continuous improvement
- Execute disciplinary action as needed following established policies
- Possesses good written and oral communications
- Ensure the flow of communication across shifts and days by maintaining an up to date communication log in an area that is easily accessible to stewards in each department
- Follows up on the day to day procedures to ensure proper communication with customers ie: signage, hot bar menu, upcoming specials to be promoted on social networking sites etc.
- Visual merchandising always executed to a high level “wow”
- Ensure pricing guidelines are met on a day to day basis
- Ensure department operates in compliance with health department regulations/department clean at all times
- Establish and maintain proper storage and labeling procedures
- Participate in the development of department goals
- Works with food services director to ensure working with an approved budget
- Supports the company’s goals and values
- Maintains a high level of product knowledge and continued learning
- Assure control accuracy and accountability of all department invoices and expenses.
- Maintain retail prices and ensure all products are accurately priced and sales prices/sale signs are up to date.
- At least 2-5 years management experience in the field of a restaurant, food service, catering or deli including: hiring, training, evaluating, and directing staff
- Proven ability to develop stewards and manage a department on a day to day basis within a budget and to the high standards required by management
- Passion and experience regarding using natural, organic, vegetarian and other specialty cuisines
- Creative merchandising abilities
- Positive attitude and commitment to excellence.
- Willingness to go above and beyond the duties of the position
Food Runner (FT)
- Must have a working knowledge of food prep, including ServSafe reheating guidelines
- The runner is responsible for warming, serving and replenishing the Hot and Cold bars
- This position requires the runner to keep the bar clean and the food presentable
- Must be a team player
- Knowledge of Vegan and Vegetarian cuisine is a plus!
Essentials Stewards (FT & PT)
- Exceptional customer service assisting customers as a first priority
- Ability to read, and explain labels as well as differentiate the products we offer from their conventional counterparts
- Ability to create and maintain visual merchandising of product
- Receive product
- Stock and rotate products, a basic understanding of PLU label system
- Ability to follow instructions and procedures
- Work with and around equipment specific to your dept.
- Communicate clearly with other members of department or department manager regarding department business.
- Ability to prioritize
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Time Management
- Customer service
- Work as part of a team
- Product knowledge
- Strong Attention to detail
Required Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Analytical skill
- Retail experience
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Retail experience in the food industry
- Strong understanding of the basic principles of rotation, PLU’s and managing inventory
Purpose: To provide friendly, courteous customer service by checking out customer purchases promptly and accurately.
- Come to work on time, dressed in accordance with Ellwood Thompson’s dress code policy, and ready to work.
- Greet customers, off friendly helpful service.
- Check out customer purchases quickly and accurately, using correct prices, departments and PLU codes.
- Call for back-up as needed so that customers wait as little as possible to be checked out.
- Bag groceries and ask customers if they need further help.
- Promote special events, 1st Natural Cards and exciting sale items.
- Become familiar with store policies and products in order to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions to a Manager on Duty.
- Follow security procedures with customers, cash-handling, potential shoplifters or robbers.
- Maintain checking area, should be orderly and clean.
- Maintain shopper and register supplies at check stands and stations.
- During down times, actively seek out work that needs to be done.
Beyond the above-listed duties, it is the employee’s responsibility to respond to any task that is deemed necessary for the smooth operation of the department.
- Must possess outstanding communication and people skills
- Must be able to execute multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Experience in serving the public
- Familiarity with natural foods
- Accuracy, attention to detail
- Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
- Excellent communication skills
- Detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to stay calm under pressure
- Flexible schedule
- Visible outgoing and friendly attitude.
Create Steward (FT)
- Perform food preparation which include making sandwiches, wraps and made-to-order bowls and salads
- Take orders from customers and cook/assemble food, according to customer requirements
- Plan work on orders so that items served together are finished at the same time
- Clean food preparation equipment and work area as needed
- 2 years of professional cooking experience required
- Must be able to prepare made-to-order dishes
- High level of customer service skills needed
- Must have a flexible schedule
If you are interested in this position please email your resume and cover letter or download and complete an application from our website.
Ellwood Thompson’s offers a great benefits package including group health and dental coverage with an option for health/dental insurance at no cost to the employee, STD and Life Insurance 100% paid by company, accrued paid time off, profit sharing, employee discounts, 401K after one year, and more!
How to Apply:
- Come in to our store! We love putting faces to names. When you get here, walk up to our Customer Service desk and ask for the Manager on Duty. Tell them what position you’d like to apply for and they’ll be sure to get you the right application. You can fill it out in-store or at home, but be sure to take your time. You’re free to attach your resume to your application – we love seeing resumes, too! Once you’re done, return your application to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
- Download your Ellwood’s Job Application (PDF) and fill it out, taking your time to make sure you give us everything we’re looking for. After you’re done email it to Jobs@Ellwoodthompsons.com or bring it in! Hand it to the Manager on Duty or anyone at the Customer Service desk.
Remember, most of our positions get filled quickly and we are looking for the best, so make sure you shine!
And again – no phone calls – you can bet we’re on top of it!
Thank you for your interest!