Beets are so cool! They are a natural food coloring used in making pasta, crackers, cakes, frostings, veggie & vegan burgers, chips, ice cream and beer! Try beets for stenciling snow, dying fabric, tinting yarn and coloring tattoos. They work in pancakes too.
And for more on Beets, click HERE.
THIS hummus recipe is fabulous! Add more beets to enhance the color (and flavor) or use less for a pretty-pink. At first you taste hummus, then BAM… BEET!
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 BIG roasted Beet, peeled & chopped
- 1 15-oz. can Chickpeas, mostly drained
- Zest of 1 large Orange
- Juice of 1/2 a large Lemon
- Salt and Black pepper
- ¼ tsp dried Thyme
- ¼ cup Tahini
- Warm oil with the garlic on low heat for 10 minutes. Do not let the oil boil.
- Blend the beet in a food processor until it looks like mush.
- Add remaining ingredients except for olive oil and blend until smooth.
- Drizzle in olive oil as the hummus is mixing.
- Add water if the hummus is too thick or add more lemon or orange juice if you desire more acid.
- Serve with pita and vegetables.
P.S. Check out our new collaboration with Steam Bell Beer Works – It’s Ellie Bell beer made with local beets!