Farro, an ancient whole grain, is an excellent source of animal based protein with barely a trace of gluten. It has a nutty flavor and is enjoyed in soups, salads and stews.
At Ellwood Thompson’s, we offer Farro, “uncooked” in our bulk section and our kitchen prepares a variety of vegan dishes with this ingredient too.
Did you know mushrooms are about 90% water? They are also well known as “meat” in the vegetarian and vegan worlds, as they are a great source of protein.
Yield: approx.. 5 lbs
- 1.5 cups Farro (soaked overnight)
- ½ cup each Button, Shitake and Portobello Mushrooms
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Caramelized Onions
- 1/8 cup Minced Garlic
- 1/8 cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Roasted Pine Nuts
- ¼ cup Finely chopped Parsley
- Cook farro in salted water for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Cool completely.
- Add caramelized onions, garlic olive oil and most of the mushrooms (save some for garnish on top). Add lemon juice and pine nuts, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss to combine.
- Enjoy at room temperature or cold!
– Ellwood’s Kitchen