If now’s not the time to celebrate Virginia tomatoes then we’re not sure when the time is – and they’re only going to get better. Any day now we’ll be seeing huge Cherokee’s and other beautiful heirloom varieties on our floor, all brought in by local farmers such as Amy’s Garden and Victory Farms. If you’re looking for an untraditional way to enjoy these tomatoes, try this delicious recipe we found over at Bon Appetit that blends the juicy flavors of summer with Mediterranean cuisine.
- 2 1/2 cups shelled fresh (or frozen, thawed) shell beans (such as fava beans, edamame, or lima beans)
- Kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons (or more) fresh lemon juice, divided
- 3 teaspoons tahini (sesame seed paste), divided
- 1/2 teaspoons grated garlic, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 1/2 pounds local heirloom tomatoes (about 5 large), cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 whole wheat pitas, grilled or toasted
Ingredient Info:Tahini is available at natural foods stores, Middle Eastern markets, and some supermarkets.
Cook beans in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender, 6–7 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
Transfer beans to a blender or food processor; add 6 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tsp. tahini, 1/4 tsp. garlic, and 1/2 cup cooking water. Puréee until smooth, scraping down sides of bowl and adding more water by tablespoonfuls if needed to blend. Season hummus to taste with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice, if desired.
Whisk remaining 4 Tbsp. oil, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 tsp. tahini, 1/4 tsp. garlic, shallot, and 2 Tbsp. tarragon in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and gently toss to evenly coat.
Divide hummus among plates. Top with tomatoes, stacking or layering slices. Drizzle tomatoes with juices remaining in bowl and garnish with tarragon leaves. Serve with warm pitas.
Nutritional InformationOne serving contains:
Calories (kcal) 510
Fat (g) 29
Saturated Fat (g) 4
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Carbohydrates (g) 52
Dietary Fiber (g) 8
Total Sugars (g) 7
Protein (g) 17
Sodium (mg) 410
Original recipe and more information can be found over at Bon Apetit.