Summer can mean so many things, but for us we tend to focus it around food and friends! Porch chillers, grilling in the back yard, fresh seafood, the smell of grass, buckets of ice and young, light and crisp summer wines that go down smooth with every sip. We’ve gathered round the table and selected our favorite wines for the summer at prices that are easy to swallow.
1. Domaine Eugene Carrel / Jongieux Blanc / France: 100% Jacquere – this is a delightful wine that captures the freshness of an Alpine meadow. Boasting with terroir-driven minerality, apple and pear fruit topped with an exciting pinch of floral characteristics.
2. Joseph Bauer / Gruner Veltliner / Austria: From a wonderful family-owned vineyard in Austria, this is a classic, clean, crisp and dry Gruner Veltliner. Perfect aperitif and spring/summer wine. Citrus flavors with the typical white pepper finish of an Austrian Gruner.
3. Chateau de Roquefort / Cotes de Provence / France / Biodynamic: A blend of 35% Grenache, 20% Syrah, 25% Cinsault, 10% Carignan, 5% Vermentino and 5% Clairette. A delicious rose with classic Provencal characteristics: bright strawberry and raspberry with a lively palate and clean finish. Perfect with seafood or grilled meats.
4. Palazzone / Orvieto / Italy: 50% Procanico and 30% Grechetto, this wine has an elegant and vivid bouquet of flowers and hazelnuts that give way to apples and citrus on the palate. An absolutely white to be enjoyed at any time of the day!
5. Domaine la Grange Tiphaine / Touraine Rose / France / Organic: An aromatic blend of Cot, Gamay and Grolleau from 4th generation Loire winemaker Damien Delecheneau. Grange Tiphaine is producing some of our favorite wines right now and the Rose is no exception. A lovely balance of bright juicy fruit with a nice minerality and a long finish.
6. Santola / Vinho Verde / Portugal: Santola is the word for spider crab in Portuguese, hence the crustacean on the label of this light, seafood friendly white. Light, crisp and slightly spritzy with refreshing lemon-citrus fruit. This wine screams summer.
7. Cadastres / Picpoul de Pinet / France: 100% estate-grown Picpoul de Pinet. Pretty aromas of white flowers, lemon-lime citrus and asise/fennel notes with crisp minerality and Granny Smith apples, green melon and citrus flavors. A great all-around daily wine.
8. Las Brisas / Rueda / Spain: 50% Verdejo, 30% Viura, 20% Sauvignon Blanc. Beautiful nose showing a perfume of bright fruits flavors, fresh cut grass and flowers. Light in body, the Las Brisas drinks very easily! Ultra crisp and refreshing, the wine shows ripe and fresh peach and apricot, with lemon and lime notes. Chalky minerality with bracing acidity. Enjoy now, ideally whilst sat on your patio watching the world go by.