We were pleasantly surprised this morning when we got the newest version of Richmond Magazine. It’s their annual Best & Worst issue, the sole issue that most Richmonder’s salivate over and is the talk of the town for weeks to come. And without tooting our own horn, your own Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market just happens to be mentioned in the issue a whopping four times, which I think, is the most we’ve ever been mentioned in there. Best Local Coffee: Ellwood’s Cafe
“Miles Quillen of Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market is quick to credit Blanchard’s Coffee Co., the source of Ellwood’s Cafe’s locally roasted Joe, and it’s owner, David Blanchard. “He’s in the cafe, if not everyday, every other day…making things go so smoothly,” Quillen says. Ellwoods baristas all go through training and know how to do latte art designs, he adds. “We used to have a girl who could do skulls.” ” – We seriously couldn’t do it without the best beans in town, Blanchards! Roasted right across the river, you can almost smell the aroma on a breezy day form the cafe.
Richmond Magazine Staff Picks: Ellwood’s Cafe’s Heather Johnson (barista)
“When I’m sitting on a stool at Ellwood’s Cafe, I just have to order my current favorite, a caramel latte. Heather Johnson always tops her drinks with latte art – a heart or leaf drawn in foam.”
Runner Up / Best Vegetarian Selection: Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market
And we just want to give a big shout-out to the first place winner, Ipanema Cafe! Kendra knows what the hell she’s doing and we’ve been eating there for years. How can you beat that vegan Caesar and those zucchini fritters!? We’re stoked on just about everything that Kendra does with her cool and cozy little nook on Grace Street. Keep up the good work, and tell Rob Lee to smile 😉
3rd Place (tie) Most Civic-Minded Business: Ellwood Thompson’s Local Market and Dominion Auto Group! – Hey, we love Richmond, we’ve been here for more than 20 years, and we couldn’t have done it without our customers! Thanks again!
We’d also like to give a big shout out to some of our buddies that got mentioned too!
1. Best Local Twitter Feed: @genecoxnbc12 – Gene, seriously, you kill us.
2. Best Local Business Blog/Site: RichmondBizSense.com – priceless information delivered the way we like it.
3. Best Local Facebook Fan Page: Locally Owned Richmond – Andrew, keep up the good work!
4. Best Local Food Blog / Site: Caramelized OpiNIONS – the best of the best on Richmond web.
5. Best Local Product: Dodd’s Farm Hanover Tomato (in stock right now)!
6. Best Local Bookstore: Chop Suey Books – WE LOVE WARD. PERIOD. And make sure you all go to Best Friends Day for his birthday! Aug 19-22nd!
7. Best Designer Denim Selection: Need Supply Co. – Because we see Chris in here everyday, keepin’ his health up.
8. Best Cooperative Delivery Servie: Farm to Family! Good luck to Mark and Suzie as they continue to deliver local, farm-grown produce to Richmonders! Suzie, we miss you!
9. Best Bike Shop / Bike Repair: Agee’s Bicycles